Thursday, September 13, 2007

Monarch sightings increase

I talked a lot about creating Monarch habitat earlier this year with some of my neighbors... but none of my milkweed seedlings (the monarch's host plant) survived.
However, we've seen them in the yard each of the past 4 days (compared with just one sighting earlier this summer).

I wonder-- do they wonder why we chase them around with the camera?

And... I don't know what this plant is-- something I found irresistable. All I know is its not frost-tolerant, so it's in a pot, and coddled through the winter, and its particularly happy right now. (Update: I saw one in a nursery today, it's called 'Duranta Repens'-- and apparently in tropical places could get to be 20 feet tall).

2 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Shirley said...

Hi there, Lisa

I will probably never see a Monarch butterfly in my garden so it is a delight to see it in yours. Thanks for sharing :-)

Don't you think it is like a drawing from a childs colouring book where the outline is really bold and black so the young child can colour inside the lines? Keep posting photos please :-)

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Connie said...

Your butterfly photos are JUST beautiful!! That plant is gorgeous. as well.... wish you could tell us what it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Go to older posts