Saturday, April 12, 2008

first roses




First of all, I apologize to anyone who had a blizzard this week-- hold on! spring is coming to you too!

But here in California we seem to be having a mini-early-heat wave; mid-eighties, anyway, and yesterday saw the arrival of the first rose to bloom: Golden Celebration, top photo.

Of course, the true first is always chinensis mutablis, a real bee-pleaser, followed by Lady Banks, covered with clusters of tiny yellow flowers-- but they're so far out ahead I don't really count them.

Meanwhile, it seems that mockingbirds must be building nests in the sycamore trees outside this window-- and making a racket as they chase off jays.

5 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Melanie Chopay said...

Hi Lisabee, wow I wish I could just lean my head into my monitor and smell those roses! Your photos are terrific and I could hear that bee buzzing!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Connie said...

Wow...pretty roses...so looking forward to them . Spring is somewhat tardy this year!

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom here.
Our blizzard didn't turn out to be as bad as expected, but it was too cold for our first few days back, for sure. Sun is out today (hallelujah)and heading toward 50 which it's supposed to get to tomorrow! Thanks for the roses. Too bad there's no one to enjoy mine out there. Guess Calistoga's had near 90 degrees!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

Awww, Lisabee, I have to wait till the middle of May for my first Roses, so I will set here and enjoy yours!! Do they smell as beautiful as they look...?
Great captures!
Cat

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog by following links on other garden blogs. Very nice site. I enjoyed all of your colorful pics and interesting posts. Will make my way back here from time to time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Go to older posts