Monday, January 01, 2007

gardener's resolutions

If I have one New Year's resolution that pertains to the garden, it would have to be this: in 2007 I will not spend as much time working in the garden. Which may seem strange, considering I love working in my garden, but it's like this. As an artist, I'm self-employed. I choose my own hours; I have to be self-motivated, self disciplined. I have been gardening when I should be at work. A lot. (to visit my art blog, click here.)

Let's face it, gardening is easier than painting. And you feel... productive. The plants tell you what needs to be done. Or if they don't, there's GardenWeb. Gardening is MUCH easier than MARKETING your artwork. Gardening is easier, and more fun than, say, doing your taxes. organizing the office. cleaning the garage. Any number of things that desparately NEED to be done around here.
You can garden all day, every day, and never run out of things to do. I've sometimes found myself imagining what I would do if I had more land (we have 1/5 of an acre), but quickly remind myself it's probably a very good thing I don't.

I'll still spend PLENTY of time in the garden, and it will look great. It'll still provide us with immense pleasure. I'm just planning to spend at least as much time working on the other side of those french doors, in the studio, as I do in the garden.

Still, today was beautiful-- t-shirt weather, sunny and warm. And January 1st is the traditional first day of rose pruning season in Northern California. The days are short, so what if I just prune til dark?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Go to older posts